Oil and Gas
Those involved in the oil and gas industry, whether it be in upstream, production, wholesale or retail activities, experience an extraordinary range of issues on a daily basis. Our specialists have made it their mission to not only understand the complex layers of statutory and regulatory obligations operators are required to comply with, but to become expert advisors in this field. It is, after all, one of the most significant industries in our region. We also keep abreast of developments in the sector internationally and one of our senior partners, Paul Franklin, is a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Our comprehensive knowledge of the entire suite of legislation and of the drivers affecting the oil and gas industry ensures the advice we provide is accurate, useful and timely.
- Preparing Charter Party documentation for offshore vessels, helicopters and FPSOs.
- Assisting and facilitating drilling campaigns, both onshore and offshore.
- Preparation of Joint Operating Agreements, including Sole Risk Notice advice.
- Advising on contracts for the sale of crude oil
- Providing opinions on statutory obligations, including under the Crown Minerals Act, Commerce Act, Companies Act, Resource Management Act, Maritime Transport Act and Biosecurity Act.
- Conducting due diligence in respect of various aspects of significant multi party transactions.
- Preparation and negotiation of various pipeline licenses.
- Negotiating access agreements under the Crown Minerals Act on behalf of permit holders and landowners.
- Advising on construction contracts for exploration and production infrastructure.
- Acting as defence counsel in investigations and prosecutions by Maritime New Zealand and/or Regional Councils in respect of breaches of the Maritime Transport Act 1994, Marine Protection Rules and Resource Management Act.
- Advising operators on the implications of the EEZ legislation and regulations.
- Assisting with a wide range of health and safety, employment and immigration matters.
- Successfully obtaining resource consents for non-complying exploration activities within the coastal marine area.